Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Me - a computer wiz!

Well, not really.... but kind of!
My Mac got a bad case of the flu earlier today and I have spent a great deal of time today trying to figure out why it was not working properly. With a little bit of help from Google, I have managed to get it back up and running (and quite well, I might add!).

This little episode got me thinking about how different being back in school is now as compared to what it was like when I first went to University some 15 years ago. As a matter of fact, one of our first lessons on campus was in the computer lab, where we were taught the basics of e-mailing and surfing the web. I also remember buying my first computer, a used Compac Pressario, and being really afraid of doing anything other than creating a word document. I had no idea on how to create files, I had never heard of down-loading and I most certainly would never had dared to attempt to fix a problem myself. I am not saying that I am more computer literate than the next guy, far from it, but I am definitely more comfortable now than then.

But on the other hand, I never did experience the intense frustration and aggravation the way I did today. My heart was racing, I was cranky and snappy with the kids and there was also an intense feeling of fear accompanying my revival attempts. I kept thinking about all the things I have on my computer - the files, the articles, the documents, the photos, the contact information, the schedules... I really need to go get an external hard drive. I need to back up all my files. Funny how I never think of that until it is (almost) to late.

                                                  Did you back up your files today?

No comments:

Post a Comment